Monday, October 25, 2010

Slowing down (or trying)...

Life in New Zealand goes by at a much slower pace. With nearly 4.5 million people in the entire country (and roughly a quarter here in Auckland -- it's largest city), it enjoys a relatively incredibly low crime rate and a single traffic jam in the city can take up many minutes of news time. It's quaint in a very cool way. I mean, a sweet old lady was serving free tea and coffee in the airport baggage claim area, and she actually looked a bit put out when everyone hurried past her (I stopped). Anyway, I'm trying to reconcile myself to the pace -- though jet-lag and a lovely hostel cold (think kennel cough for humans) are helping a lot.

People here think it's kind of funny that I came over with little in the way of travel plans and no real solid time-frame either. In an effort to slow down and figure out what exactly I want to do here, and how, I've been taking my time in Auckland. Lots of people hustle right out, but I'll get to that in a couple days. Meanwhile, I am loving the vibe here: quite multicultural, small town, a nice efficient bus system, and lots of great travelers/trampers/local adventurers. It's also great to be in a place that doesn't seem as hard hit by the recession, where servers are paid a livable wage, and where you can walk freely and do most anything without too much worry of something bad happening to you. I guess I am also a still bit starved for civilization (and I do say that in partial jest).

Yesterday I walked up to the top of Mt. Eden or Maungawhau, which is actually the highest volcano on the Auckland isthmus, and one of roughly 50 or so there. It has supposedly an equivalent view of all of Auckland as Sky Tower, without the jutting gleams of metal from the surrounding cityscape and the $28 NZ price tag. It's a lovely little walk, though some called it a hike. And the view from above is amazing -- One Tree Hill, all the islands, Sky Tower of course, the bridge, the harbor...And while you're up there, you're also at the top of a giant crater, which is pretty surreal. Actually Auckland itself is essentially active volcanic field, but the last one erupted some 600 or so years ago, so all is good. (Of course, Christchurch recently had its earthquakes, and a pretty large aftershock a couple weeks ago, so one can never underestimate the elements.).

Today was relatively chill. I met up with a local traveler who is studying Occupational Therapy at the university here. Ahmed is a 21-year-old Saudi who will flip nearly every Saudi stereotype out there on its head. We walked around the city and enjoyed the beautiful weather they have been having since I got here. Highs of 68 degrees or so, a very strong sun, and cooler nights at about 57 degrees or so. Somewhat chilly for me in the shade, but allegedly perfect for the Kiwis, who endured a pretty bad storm before I arrived. More to come later, but I've got to get some shut eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment